Newtowne (A)

1st Team
Sat 27th Aug - 2:00pm
M. Logan

Wakehurst made the long trip to the North West to face reigning BPL Champions Newtowne in Limavady this afternoon with a host of players unavailable.

Conor Ross (suspended), Corey Price, John Alexander, David Johnston (all injured) added to Peter Adams, Stevie Mellon and Conor Gregg being unavailable meant Charles Allen, Roy Colville and Matthew Logan were promoted from the reserves in to the first team panel.

Wakehurst were slow out of the blocks and Newtowne had the better of the early chances and but for Andy Findlay, could and probably should have been a couple of goals up at the break.

The home side were awarded a penalty following a harsh hand ball decision against Andy Laughlin but the Wakehurst ‘keeper made a terrific save low to his right before pulling off a brilliant double save moments later while Aaran Weir forced a good save from the home goalkeeper in Wakehurst’s best chance of the half.

To add to the growing list of absentees, captain Ryan Bamber was taken off injured just prior to the half hour mark and replaced by Matty Logan.

Half Time: Newtowne 0-0 Wakehurst 

Wakehurst came out much stronger in the second half and were unfortunate not to take the lead when Nixon hit the crossbar before Peter McClure was sent off on 55 minutes much to the amazement and dismay of the visitors.

Rather than feel sorry for themselves, ‘Hurst’s players rolled up their sleeves and dug deep before taking the lead just after the hour when Ryan Sands beat the offside trap and cooly lobbed the Newtowne goalkeeper to give his side a 1-0 lead.

Newtowne were only behind for nine minutes when a delivery from the left was met with a header at the back post by Rory O'Reilly to level the scores at one apiece.

Both teams had chances and another terrific double save from Findlay thwarted the champions before some heroic defending from Swann, Laughlin and Jonny Logan kept the sides level.

It was the visitors who had the final say however - Nixon picked the ball up in midfield, drove down the right and send a low ball across the box which wasn’t gathered by Newtowne’s number one and Matthew Logan fired the ball in to the bottom corner to win it with just injury time remaining.

A good performance from everyone and the lads dug deep to pick up another three points and move top of the league.

Starting Team: A. Findlay, J. Logan, N. Swann, P.McClure, K. McCartney, Z. Barr, A. Weir, R. Bamber (C), A. Laughlin, R. Sands, S. Nixon.

Subs: M. Logan (on for Bamber, 29), R. Colville (on for Weir, 90), C. Allen.