Dundela (A)

1st Team
Intermediate Cup
Sat 22nd Oct - 1:30pm
4-4 (Won 5-4 on pens)
Wakehurst stretched their unbeaten run to eleven games after what can only be described as a battle from start to finish again Dundela FC who are a division above the visitors as they ply their trade in the NI Intermediate League.
Wakehurst were finding it tough to adjust the narrow pitch at Wilgar Park and Zach Barr, Laughlin and Nixon were all unlucky when they had just the goalkeeper to beat inside the first 20 minutes of the game to put the Hurst in front. 
On the 29th minute, Dundela made 'Hurst pay for their missed chances when they scored from close range. The first half continued swaying from end to end and Nixon got on the score sheet on the 44th minute after having an initial shot saved but he followed in to make no mistake from the rebound to send the teams in level at half time
Half Time:  Dundela 1-1 Wakehurst
Dundela came out in the second half and quickly got on the scoresheet after a goalmouth scramble on the 57th minute ended in a goal.
On the 65th minute Wakehurst’s attempt to clear the ball resulted in it hitting the referee and fell into the path of the Duns striker who was six yards out and Niall Swann had to put in a last ditch tackle resulting in the referee giving a penalty which the Duns striker put it away to make it 3-1.
This third goal gave 'Hurst the kick up the backside they needed and after a few tactical changes, Wakehurst started to take the game to Dundela and after a crossfield pass onto the head of Zach Barr was nodded towards goal, up popped centre back Peter McClure to hammer it into the net on the 74th minute.
Wakehurst were going all out for the equaliser now and after good pressure down the right by Nixon and Barr, the Dundela full back hit a stray pass across his own box and up popped super sub David Johnston who hit an unbelievable strike with the outside of his boot into the top left hand corner giving the keeper no chance on the 83rd minute to take the game to extra time.
Full Time: Dundela 3-3 Wakehurst 
Wakehurst scored almost straight away when extra time began as Andy Laughlin hammered home past the keeper giving him no chance and the game continued to sway from end to end and one min before extra time was over, Dundela equalised from a corner to take the game to penalties. 
AET: Dundela 4-4 Wakehurst
Penalty Shoot Out:
Dundela hit first and and Findlay made an excellent save to his right before Andy Laughlin stepped up, rifling it into the net to make it 1-0 to Wakehurst.
Dundela scored their remaining four penalties and so did Wakehurst through goalkeeper Findlay, Barr and Jordan Walker before Nixon scored the winner to send Hurst into the next round in what was a memorable victory for this fledgling group of young players who really always refuse to accept that they are beat. 
Manager Clifford Adams was over the moon with the character and bravery of his young side who fought their way into a very tough battle of a game against an experienced team playing at a higher level.
Starting Team: A. Findlay, K. McCartney, P. McClure, A. Millar, N. Swann, R. Bamber, A. Laughlin, A. Weir, C. Price, S. Nixon, Z. Barr.
Subs: D. Johnston (on for Weir, 78), J. Walker (on for McCartney, 67), Alexander.
Next up, we are back in league action, away to Magherafelt Sky Blues at Spires Park, Magherafelt with a 2pm kick off.