Cookstown Olympic (A)

1st Team
O'Gorman Cup
Sat 26th Nov - 1:30pm
Wakehurst earned themselves a home draw with Ballynure OB FC in the quarter final of the Crawford Cup following this comfortable win over Cookstown Olympic from the division below.

Wakehurst were quick on the attack and a long throw from Stewart Nixon was headed into the Cookstown goal by their own defender on the 5th minute to make it 1-0 early on.

Zach Barr saw his first couple of opportunities well saved by the home 'keeper but a superb through ball on the 26th minute by David Mclaughlin saw Barr hammer home giving him no chance and doubling the visitors’ advantage. 
The game continued in the same vein with it all being Wakehurst and after a scuffle in the middle of the pitch where their was numerous off the ball antics by Cookstown players, surprisingly the only player who was punished was ‘Hurst captain Ryan Bamber who received a straight red - Bamber left the pitch with his shirt almost torn in half on the 39th minute.

Half Time: Cookstown Olympic 0-2 Wakehurst 

Losing their captain only succeeded to galvanise the remaining ten men who started the half like a freight train but on the 52nd minute, Cookstown were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and they scored a superb goal to make it 2-1.

The trend of over physicality continued from Olympic with front men Nixon and Barr on the most of the receiving end. 

Barr did what is best to do in situations like this and was played through by McLaughlin on the 60th minute and rode two strong tackles before lobbing the ‘keeper and giving him no chance. 
Nixon was unlucky on the 65th minute when his well struck free kick was pushed behind by the keeper while Charles Allen stepped up from the reserves and was outstanding in the middle of the park from start to finish making tackle after tackle and covering every blade of grass.  
Barr popped up with goal number three on the 73rd minute to complete his hatrick and his 7th goal of the season to make it 4-1 before John Alexander who came on for Barr was played down the right wing by Nixon and played a teasing cross into the back post where his fellow substitute David Johnston headed it into the net off the crossbar bar on the 77th minute to make it 5-1.

On the 81st minute, Nixon got a goal all his hard work deserved to hit his 13th goal of the season and complete a miserable day for the hosts against ten men.

Manager Adams was delighted with the result and professionalism of his ten men in an extremely hostile game saying, "We were disappointed in losing our captain to a red but we had no arguments regarding it. Our ten men could've scored another three or four had it not been for the Cookstown keeper.”
Next week Wakehurst are away to Glebe Rangers FC in the semi final of the McReynolds Cup with a 1:30 pm kick off and welcome back midfield enforcer Andrew Laughlin after missing Saturday through suspension. 

Starting Team: A. Findlay, C. Ross, N. Swann, P. McClure, C. Price(69), A. Millar(73). D. McLaughlin, S. Nixon, C. Allen, R. Bamber (C), Z. Barr.

Subs: J. Walker (on for Price, 69), D. Johnston (on for Millar, 73), J. Alexander (on for Barr, 75) 

MOTM: Zach Barr