Ballynure OB (A)

1st Team
O'Gorman Cup
Sat 7th Jan - 1:30pm
2-2 (Win 8-7 on pens)
Ballynure OB 2-2 Wakehurst FC (AET)
Wakehurst win 8-7 on penalties.
Wakehurst went into this game with three players making their debut in the shape of Kyle Crawford, Lee McClelland and Nicky Black but were stunned when the Old Boys opened the scoring with from a Gareth Curlett free kick on the edge of the box which bypassed the wall and found the bottom left hand corner giving the 'keeper no chance.  
On the 39th minute, a long ball forward to the Ballynure striker resulted in a blocked shot on goal only to fall kindly to Robert Watson for a simple tap in. 
Half Time: Ballynure OB 2-0 Wakehurst FC 
Wakehurst came out in the second half in determined mood and after good work in the midfield the ball was slipped through to Zach Barr in the box where he was brought down and awarded a penalty on the 53rd minute. 
Barr dusted himself off and hammered it past Jonah Nichol in the Ballynure goal to bring 'Hurst back into the game and give him his 9th goal of the season.  
It was all 'Hurst now and Andy Laughlin steered a header just wide after an excellent ball by McLaughlin in the Wakehurst midfield but it was that man Barr again who held the ball up down the right channel and played a perfect cross in to the box for Nicky Black to score on his debut and bring the scores level on the 66th minute. 
Laughlin was unlucky when he drove into the Ballynure box only to see his shot go wide while Wakehurst pushed and prodded but just couldn't get that elusive third goal. 
Extra time was a nip and tuck affair with neither team wanting to lose and being that bit more cautious and the tie went to the lottery of a penalty shootout which saw 22 penalties taken in total between the two teams. 
Andy Findlay, the Wakehurst keeper saved four and scored one and the kickers came all the way around to the start again where Findlay saved and up stepped captain Andy Laughlin to slot home the winner and send 'Hurst into the quarter finals. 
A mediocre first half performance by Wakehurst who seemed to be struggling with a Christmas hangover but full credit must go to the players who knew their performances were below par and came out in the second half and put things right. 
Special mention to Nicky Black on getting his first goal for the club on his debut and full credit to the lads for the character shown and their never say die atitude to get the result but we do it all again next week when we host Ballynure again, this time in the quarter final of the Crawford Cup at Mill Meadow.
Starting Team: A. Findlay, K. McCartney, A. Millar, K. Crawford, P. McClure, N. Swann, L.. McClelland, A. Laughlin, N. Black, A. Weir, Z. Barr
Subs: D. McLaughlin (on for Swann, 46), C. Ross (on for Millar, 63), D. Johnston (on for Weir, 98)